Monday, January 14, 2008

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

I usually dont give reviews of books Ive read...not because I dont like to talk about books...or because I dont read...cause I do. In fact I always have a book Im working on...I just tend to take a while reading them. I spend all day reading scientific articles or text book litterature, so reading isnt the first thing on my mind when I get home at night. However, this weekend I started reading a book I just have to tell you about. I picked it up on Friday and finished it at Sunday, which is unusually quick being me. I simply could not put it down. (I mean, obviously I did put it down at times or I would have finished it by Friday...but you know what I mean...).

The book, which is called "The curious incident of the dog in the night-time" (by Mark Haddon), is about a 15 year-old kid who seems to be...what should I say...mentally challenged, but turns out to be more autistic than unintelligent. He decides to find out who killed the neighbors dog and in the process discovers a lot more about himself and his family. The 15 year-old is the narrator and this is what makes the book so hard to put down. The story is told through his eyes, and you find yourself realizing truths way before the narrator himself gets it, and it is wonderfully frustrating. If you are looking for a book to read, this one comes highly recommended. Another pluss is the short chapters. I tend to read while eating breakfast and usually dont have much time...so short chapters make it easy to read a few chapters qucikly and then carry on with what you were supposed to do.

So there you go. Now you know what the next book on your list is...in case you were wondering.

2 comments:

Wawa said...

I'm going to try to find that book....

thefoolishvet said...

you are making me curious...