Monday, May 11, 2009

The end of one phase and the beginning of another

I realize I have somewhat neglected my blog lately...In part out of exhaustion, in part due to the uneventfulness of my life. But I am not complaining. I finally finished my master thesis...and I did well. In fact, I will admit I am proud of myself. I have no plans of going further than a master degree (although I should be careful to utter the word never) so I guess that means I have officially ended my education. It feels good.

But I am tired. 9 years, 2 bachelors and a master have taken its toll on me and I have been in desperate need of some time off. So thats why Ive been absent lately. I have been enjoying myself. Ive taken care of stuff I should have taken care of ages ago, like fixing my national costume so that I could finally wear it for the constitution day this year (yay!), Ive slept, Ive read books, Ive worked out and explored some other interests which I am not going to bore you with right now. Ive also booked 2 weeks of bliss in Turkey this summer with my man, and I cannot wait! To be perfectly honest...I cannot remember the last time I had 2 weeks off without feeling guilty about anything. It will be heaven.

It has also been a time of recognition for me. I have spent 21 years in school...which is 3/4s of my life...Although I have learned a great deal, both about the topics I have been studying, and about extracting information and separating good info from bad…reliable from non-reliable, I am happy to be done. I am ready for a steady income and some real responsibility…

Being a student usually means putting the “starting-a-family-phase” on hold. I have friends who ended their education years ago, who is now getting into that phase of their lives. As much as I would like a family one day, I am more excited about having some time to travel and enjoying time away from study halls. So...that's where I am right now. I have the time...but not the money. Ironic as it is.

So if you'd ask me what I am up to these days, besides enjoying myself...I will say: saving money. I have worked a little extra at my part-time job (which I have had the past 9 years) and I am trying to live cheaply so that I can spend the next couple of months planning a trip to somewhere exotic. The idea of being able to travel to some place Ive only dreamt of visiting before, excites me beyond comprehension.

You know...this is probably when I get accidentally pregnant...

Either way. Let life begin!

3 comments:

Sofia said...

let life begin? didn't you feel that you have a life before? hum! well your life begun long time ago let me tell you. It is just that we are victims of a world where everything seems to be one step after another (school, get an education, family, getting married, children etc etc) and that seems to be "the rule" without remembering that we are actually living day by day, and dying day by day. we always worry about the future, we always plan the future because of these "rules" and we dont realize that this day now and right now, it's what we have! so your life has started! there you go...sorry my accident is making me a bit philosophical :P

Sofia said...

it's all life until you are dead! remember that :)

Ski said...

Haha! I know. My blog title is a line from "Breakfast of champions" by Kurt Vonnegut, and I have chosen it solely for that very purpose. To remember that each day no matter how stressful is a part of life. But I do feel that especially the past 3 years have been based on responsibility and expectation rather than free will. So thats what I mean about; "let life begin". Now is the time to do the stuff I really want to do. ;)