Friday, June 23, 2006

Bronzing issues

"Summer finally arrived! I still cannot believe it. Not only am I done with my exams for the semester, but as soon as I finished, the weather changed from rain to sun as well! And those of you who live in Norway where I live know that this is a big deal. No one in the world talks about the weather as much as we do here in Bergen. We are used to rain, and so whenever the sun pops out, people fill the streets and you wont find a single available table at any of the outdoor restaurants/bars. We Norwegians know the significance of a cold beer on a hot day. -And we prefer to drink it in company with at least another 3 cold beers."
I wrote this last week...all happy and giggly...But I didnt get to finish it, so I saved it as a draft...And now I dont want to finish it. This is how summer is right now...and how it usually is:



I dont know what I did wrong...but summer seems to have left me.

But I am optimistic! Fortunately I am going away this summer, and from what Ive heard, its supposed to be sunny there...so we'll see...maybe I'll even get a tan! That has been one of my dreams for quite some time...You see, whenever there is sun, I turn pink. I am a firm believer in genes and heritage, and I believe that my forefathers were evolutionary adapted to snow and cold weather. Its not that long ago since Norway and most of Scandinavia was covered in ice...roughly 10 000 years ago if i remember it correctly (that would be about the time Hugh Hefner was born)...and if you live by hunting in a snowy landscape, it will be a benefit to you if you are very pale...So its not really my fault that I am a pale person...its in my genes. My great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-etc grandparents survived during the ice age because they were pale enough to sneak up on dinner....and hence, my genes believe its a benefit to me to be pale. I have tried to convince them otherwise...tanning lotion, sunbathing, tan-colored stockings...but nothing works. I am and will always be a pale or pink person. I guess if I spend a lot of time in the sun I do eventually get slightly tanned...but Im the only one who notice.

I do however think its better to be pale than lobster red. I had this poor girl in the store the other day...she looked like she was wearing a strawberry-red sweather, when she was infact wearing a sleaveless top...and ofcourse the top had to be pastel yellow, just to intensify the red skin. I cannot imagine how painful it must have been to go to bed that night...ouch! Wherever you are my dear lobster-girl. I hope you are doing well. My thoughts are with you.

I have been a lobster-girl myself once. Not a complete lobster though, but partially...chest and buttocks. Dont ask how i managed to burn both my chest AND my ass, but I can tell you as much as it included a deserted beach, a bored boyfriend and a big pile of sand. A burned tush is not comfortable...and definately not sexy once the skin starts peeling...but it was a kick-ass sandcastle! (What did you think we were doing?) Rhodes is a beautiful island, no doubt about it.

In fact, all of Greece is beautiful, and right now I wish I was laying on a greek beach with some greek God-looking fellow rubbing me in with sunlotion...His name should be Marcus....or Flavio...no wait; Zeus... Zeus should be with me right now, rubbing my aching muscles from yesterdays workout...feeding me grapes or something. But alas, Im stuck here, on midsummer night alone with the rain pouring down outside. Maybe I should go out in the rain and dance around the bonfire like everyone else...but no. I think I'll put on a good movie and pop some corn. After all, rain doesnt have to be that bad. It gives you an excuse to do nothing. And no one will judge you for being pale. - You cant get tanned in rain.

I guess the rain can stay. For now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I kinda like White.
I can just see it now...
Down in Greece, gazing upon your beautiful white body as it shimmers in the in the evening sunlight from a sun setting upon the horizon, the waves washing the shore, making a quiet music. Sipping wine and feeding each other fruit as we laugh about the birds soaring on the evening sky. The smell of the Lotion rubbed upon your body only moments earlier.
Its too much. Locked in an unbreakble Kiss as I lay you back upon the Beach blanket.

Booo yeah!

Beatnik said...

Summer didnt leave ya when you got off of that Plane(minus the Snakes) in Idaho. It was well into the 40* Celsius range when you rolled up here. I think the trip out to the Sand dunes pretty much helped out that tan didnt it? And if you thought Summer had left, it was apparent it was still here I bet when you got here.
I just want to know how long until you want to come back. That would be a good indication on how we did as a host.

Anonymous said...

I NEED A NEW BLOG!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I like this Blog. This chick is a hottie and she loves Poetry.

My eyes have only met you
it seems so long ago
They touched you from afar
although you did not know
Caressing you, yet not aware
from your head unto your feet
Afraid I would be caught
as louder my heart beat
Alas you do not know
The dreams that I now see
Two bodies nude and baring
hands setting senses free
The electricity were sharing
me in you, and you in me
You taste so good upon my lips
and I hear your pleasure scream
I wake up wanting more of you
Fuck! this was a dream.

thefoolishvet said...

Can you believe that even though I live in Italy I had to spend 10 days in Denmark to bronze a little?
Damn moving... I'm sick of building Ikea furnitures! lol...

Never, never... NEVER move during the summer!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. I can identify with you and being pale. Although I am from the United States (Georgia), I too have lived the life of being tanless. I too have once looked like a lobster...again like...only once. I learned my lesson.

I don’t know why I want to share this with you and the rest of the world, but I suppose that I do. I wrote this poem for my wife (for the now) back on our last anniversary. Things have not been going that well over the past year or so, and well, I guess I kind of equate it to being in the rain. No one sees or judges you for your complexion...why...well...because we are all tainted by our surroundings aren’t we. Maybe I just need some help! I hope you enjoy the poem.

When anyone looks into a mirror,
A reflection is what they see,
But is it a reflection of what they are,
Or is it what they want to be
Let me share with you some thoughts of what it is that I see,
When I look in the mirror everyday,
When I look at myself looking back at me

Some days I am happy, other days a bit depressed,
Some days I am tired, and others I am full of rest,
But this is just the surface of what really lies inside
When I look past the reflection from my own thoughts I cannot hide

Sometimes I am emotional, for reasons I can hardly ever define,
Some days I am cold to the world
This is usually when I am trapped in my own mind,
As you already know,
I like to think a lot,
My usual hang up is that I worry about things I should not,
What is going to happen tomorrow
Is something no one can answer today
Why then do I worry,
I should take those thoughts and cast them away,
Some recurring thoughts are with me everyday,
These are the thoughts that will not go away,
I worry about money,
I worry about my work,
I worry that I will not be a good husband,
All of these things in the back of my mind lurk

In times like these,
I must turn inward to see,
If I were to close my eyes,
How would I envision my eternity,
Would cares fall to the wayside,
Like waves rushing back into the sea
Carrying with it my frustration,
Back into the abyss that is incomprehensible to me,
Would I want to only know joy,
After understanding the pleasure that can come from pain
Would I see my life as fruitful,
Having nothing left to gain,
Would I understand my faults
Or would I burry them in the night,
Would I be smart enough to know my own strengths,
Could I use them as my sight
All of these questions are things I do not know,
So instead of visioning forever,
I open my eyes and for today continue to go

Just as this poem started, the topic I will once again broach,
To really see my own reflection there is another part of me that I must approach,
For in this life I do not stand alone, so if I were to focus solely on me
The whole picture would not truly be shown

This part I was not born with
But to those outside, they would never know,
This part of me is so entwined, that without it I could not go,
The part that I reference, to that of which I speak,
That part is you Andrea,
You truly are a part of me

You allow me to dream my dreams, and with me there you stand,
Often never saying a word, but just being there to hold my hand,
You are my support, and you are my best friend,
To make me a better man Andrea,
To that, you do lend

I often pray when I lay down at night, I know this may sound foreign,
Because you know how hard I have had to fight
Fight with anger and other emotions
And search for what is true,
But the purity in religion I have once again found in you,
It’s not the Sunday gatherings,
Or a preacher telling lies,
It’s the innocence of a child,
It’s the longing to do what’s right

The things that I pray for vary from day to day,
Some things are steadfast, while others fade away,
I pray for our family
And that they all be protected safe,
I pray for my parents, I pray they will be okay,
I am sure to be thankful,
For the great things in my life,
In my prayers I try not to be resentful
Of the things that are not right

Without you I am not whole,
But together we stand strong
Before I ever met you,
It was for you that I longed

With an open mind,
And a spirit willing to be set free,
I would like to revisit this idea,
The idea I call eternity
So once again I close my eyes
And dream of what will be,
This is what I dream,
This is what I dream when I see you and me

There will be long summer days with walks around the yard,
Spending time with each other will never be too hard,
Time would be endless, thus loosing its grasp,
On the moments that today come so quickly,
Yet just as quick tomorrow they have passed,
The seasons will change
But never our hearts
Longing to be with each other even when we are apart

Then as the days grow short and the nights grow long
Spending cold nights together in each others arms,
Watching a favorite movie or television show,
Looking out the window and just watching it snow,
It doesn’t really matter
What it is that we do
All that matters to me is that I am there with you

And when many years have passed
And our children are all grown,
Our home will once again be filled with the pitter-patter of little feet
When our kids have their own,
I want to see you cooking
Preparing the family feast,
Smiling over a dinner just prepared
That is fit to serve a king,
I want to be telling stories
To eager little ears,
Excited to hear stories of their mom and dad
When they used to live right here

And again time goes on
And our bodies begin to age,
Sitting with you on the front porch
Reminiscing of the days,
Days of crazy rowdiness
Back when first we met,
The memories of our lifetime,
We will not soon forget

And when the time does come
For one or both of us to leave this place,
We will know we lived life to the fullest
And we will pass into death just like turning a page,
There will be laughter and celebration
Of life lived until the end,
But see this is only where this world stops and eternity begins,
I truly believe we are soul mates
And this world was but a meeting place,
Our love will live on forever
Regardless of time and space

So as we celebrate
This being our third year,
Let it be known
For al the world to hear,
Our love will transcend all boundaries
It cannot be described with months or days,
It can only be measured by desire
And that, my love, is where my heart stays

As I stand here, this sonnet coming to a close
I once again reflect upon my happiness, my joys, and my woes,
And if a reflection is but a mere image of what is already there to see
I will say this once again
So that you can see it with me,
When anyone looks into a mirror,
A reflection is what they see
But is it a reflection of what they are,
Or is it what they want to be,
So when I see my reflection
It is no longer I alone that I see
But it is a union of two souls,
Joined together for eternity