Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A religious argument, -Free of charge.

There is one specific thing in this world that opens me to the possibility of God.

I am a scientist, if not yet professional (still working on that master thesis), I am in heart...so I do truly believe in evolution and the laws of nature. I, for instance believe that we fall in love for the purpose of procreation. As humans invest so much time in their offspring, -a method that has shown to pay off for our species, we need to be picky as to whom we decide to breed with. -As the person you rub units with may be in your life for a while. Obviously when it comes to fish or rats this isnt as important as they invest none to very little time in their offspring. They can play with the first chap that comes along and have babies which are, after just a few weeks, left to themselves in the big world.

Now, even if I have this very scientific view on the concept of love or falling in love and having a crush, I still get just as carried away with it as anyone else. I am human after all. I just cant get myself to believe that we fall in love because a higher being or spirit or whatever one wish to call it has taught us to...or given us the ability to. At least if God made us able to fall in love, He or She must have done so to make sure we have enough sex to maintain the human species....which I admit could be a possibility.

However, there is one thing I cannot find a scientific explanation for;

Irony.

I was faced with this concept no later than yesterday. Picture this:
-Stressed student in the lab. 4 tubes with algal culture. A desperate need to have at least one tube with a synchronous culture.

That was me yesterday. I examined my tubes to find out that ONE of the 4 tubes might become synchronous within the day...something that was absolutely one hundred percent necessary if I was going to be able to do any work at all this week in the lab...and with an approaching deadline... Safe to say I was desperate.

I put the tubes in a rack and placed the rack in the window post, carefully making sure they were stable. I turned around to have another look in the microscope, just to hear a crashing sound of the rack tipping over. One of the tubes fell out of the rack and onto the floor, spilling all the algal culture across the floor. Now, you have probably already guessed which tube it was that fell down...

Of course out of all the 4 tubes, the single one I might be able to use had to drop.

I cussed. Then I had to laugh. It was just too ironic.

Its the same thing that happens every year in May. I cannot tell you how many times Ive spent weeks and weeks indoors in beautiful weather, preparing for an exam, just to walk out the door after my very last exam of the season, getting drenched in rain...And people wonder why Im pale...

Irony could very well be the proof of the existence of God. I am actually a little surprised that hasnt been used as an argument before. Ive heard all kinds of strange arguments to why evolution is crap...and they all show evidence of lack of knowledge... but irony... -How the hell do you explain that scientifically? It cannot be coincidence. It is too predictable for that. It cannot be entropy. The pattern is too obvious.

-Its the result of someone's, or something's, bad sense of humor. Thats what it is.

I guess the next time someone tries to preach to me, I will see if they can give me an explanation for irony, and if they can...then who knows. Perhaps you'll see me in church every Sunday some time in the future.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This must be the greatest insight into the nature of God since "Cogito ergo sum"!!

Wawa said...

I like the argument a lot.

Saw you are reading a new James Frey, how is it? Will it have any controversy??

Beatnik said...

Some of sciences greatest discoveries were made by accident. Well thats what I heard. Sucks though that was the one. Did your luck end up changing? Did your Karma run over your Irony and everything worked out after all? Please! let us know what happened, dont leave us hanging like this.
You know we now have a vested interest in what happens with our Norwegian friend with the Platinum Blonde Hair, the Cleavage hanging out of her lab coat, and the pants 2 sizes too tight, and hanging out with... Will? Wait a Minute? Has he spiked his hair and gotten two large Diamond Studs?

We need pictures! Stat!