Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The guilty pleasure of shameful music

I remember everything!
I remember every little thing as if it happened only yesterday.
I was barely seventeen,
and I once killed a boy with a Fender guitar.
I don't remember if it was a
Telecaster or a Stratocaster
but I do remember that it had a heart of chrome
and a voice like a horny angel.
I don't remember if it was a Telecaster or a
Stratocaster
but I do remember that it wasn't at all easy.
It required
the perfect combination of the right power chords
and the precise angle from
which to strike!
The guitar bled for about a week afterwards
and the blood was sough dark and rich,
like wild berries.
The blood of the guitar
was Chuck Berry red.
The guitar bled for about a week afterwards, but it
rung out beautifully
and I was able to play notes that I had never even
heard before.
So I took my guitar, and I smashed it against the wall!
I smashed it against the floor!
I smashed it against the body of a varsity cheerleader!
Smashed it against the hood of a car!
Smashed it against a
1981 Harley Davidson!
The Harley howled in pain! The guitar howled in heat!
And I ran up the stairs to my parents' bedroom...
Mummy and daddy were
sleeping in the moonlight...
Slowly I opened the door, creeping in the shadows
Right upto the foot of their bed.
I raised the guitar high above my head,
and just as I was about to bring the guitar crashing down
upon the centre of the bed,
my father woke up, screaming: "Stop!"
"Wait a minute!
Stop it boy! What do ya think you're doin'?
That's no way to treat
an expensive musical instrument!"
And I said: "God dammit daddy!
You know I love you...
But you've got a hell of a lot to learn about
rock 'n roll!!"


I was looking for some music for my workout, when I came upon on old Meat Loaf album I have...Its one of those albums you're afraid to admit you love...so you kind of hide it behind some of the more "respectable" ones...Anyway, I put it on and realized I still know pretty much every song on the album. In case you are wondering its the "Bat out of hell II (back into hell)" album and the intro above is from "Everything louder than everything else".

"A wasted youth is better by far
than a wise and productive old age!"



Im not entirely sure I agee with that statement, but the song kicks butt. You can say whatever you want about old meaty, but he can make rock n'roll if he really wants to.

I admit that this is the first CD I ever bought (being 13 or so...), but I still love it...so shoot me.

1 comment:

Beatnik said...

I cant believe when I replied to this yesterday, it didnt stick.
I was saying my dear friend Linni, it doesnt matter if anyone else likes it. I am positive I have music people would laugh at in my Collection. I for one happen to Love Meatloaf and it stems from his Days in the Rocky Horror Picture Show. A soundtrack we listened to about a Month or so ago. My Kids know the words to all of the songs. Oh yeah! you heard the songs my Kids know the words to didnt you. No Musician is complete until they have their Backseat Vocalists are they. Remember I turned it down to hear them singing lol. If I remember right, some of those songs were guilty pleasures as well. Ah well bring your Meatloaf over, we will listen to it together. If you have "Bat out of Hell" we can listen to him say. "On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?"