Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The Hurricane Aftermath

Originally posted: September 26th, 2005

Current Mood: thankful

Have you ever sat down and really thought about your life? I mean, really thought about it? Where you’re going, what you want to do, what you don’t want to do and how you want to do the thing that you want to do? *phew* lost my breath there for a sec…

Lately I’ve been thinking about life…and how every decision you make affects it.-And how easily everything you have can be taken away from you. My plans for this year or for the rest of this year anyways, have already been altered…And there wasn’t much I could do about it. I’m not going to bore you with the details, but I had planned to follow some classes at the University, which got cancelled and now I don’t really have any classes I can take….not this semester anyways. But in a way this might be a good thing. I’m going to fall even more behind on my study-schedule, but it will give me more time to earn money…which I btw spent too much of in NYC. I’ve never been more broke than I am right now. Gosh, I had more money as a 6-year old than I have now…I had a savings account back then. Aaaaah the good old days. Pony tails, no hair on the legs, no worries,- well apart from worrying about the fraggles and whether they would make it back to Fraggle Rock before the mean Gorgs caught them…scary bastards. But my point is; I’m broke. So no school this semester gives me more time to save up some desperately needed money.

However, if I hadn’t gone to the US last year, I would have started my Masters degree right away and I would probably have been done with my education by now…looking for a real job.

I have to admit I’m content with my choice of spending that year abroad. It was good for me, both as a person and education-wise, and let’s face it, it was the best year in my 20-something life yet…but I can’t help thinking “what if” sometimes…

It also makes me wonder about faith vs coincidence. When something happens in your life, was it meant to happen? Or did something go wrong? Were you supposed to be where it happened? I remember reading a book by Stephen King on the issue…It was called ‘Insomnia’ and it had an interesting view on everything. Of course this is King so in his mind coincidence is two invisible bald midgets running around cutting in people’s auras with scissors…but the idea was that faith has a road laid out for us, and coincidence comes along and changes the paths we follow. So in a way we’re all meant to be something, but the choices we make affects what that final result will be. I think I like that idea. It’s comforting to think I have a purpose, and yet nice to know that I myself can decide what that purpose is,- by the choices I make in life. Did I lose you yet?

You may read this and wonder what this has to do with hurricane Katrina or Rita…and it doesn’t really have anything to do with it…not directly. But that disaster has made me think…about how short life is, about how coincidence can kick you in the ass when you least expect it, or even when you do expect it, and about how important it is to live your life as best as you can, and be as honest as you can to yourself and those around you.



Life is short and full of surprises. Im gonna try living mine to the fullest.

No comments: